Rutabaga Seeds - American Purple Top HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATED
- Large, yellow and purple roots
- 90 Days to Harvest
- Adaptable to Sun or Shade
Availability & Turnaround Time
All seeds are shipped year-round, while flower bulbs are shipped on a seasonal basis. Typical turnaround times for in-stock items is between 2 – 5 business days.
|Zones 2 – 10||Year-Round|
|Spring Planted Bulbs & Perennials (March - June):|
|Zones 8 – 10 Pre-Orders||Mid March|
|Zones 7 Pre-Orders||Late March-Early April|
|Zones 6 Pre-Orders||Early-Mid April|
|Zones 5 Pre-Orders||Mid-Late April|
|Zones 2 – 4 Pre-Orders||Late April-Early May|
|All Zones Ship Until Inventory is Sold Out||May - June|
|Saffron Crocus & Bearded Iris (Late August - November):|
|All Zones||Start Shipping late August|
|Fall Planted Bulbs & Perennials (September - January):|
|Zones 2-4 Pre-Orders||Mid September|
|Zones 5 Pre-Orders||Mid-Late September|
|Zones 6 Pre-Orders||Late September|
|Zones 7 Pre-Orders||Late September - Early October|
|Zones 8-10 Pre-Orders||Early October|
|All Zones Ship Until Inventory is Sold Out||Mid October - January|
|Fall Perennial Roots/Bulbs* & Amaryllis Bulbs (October - January)|
*Fall Perennial Roots/Bulbs include: Hosta Roots, Siberian Iris Roots, Lily Bulbs, Papaver Roots and Peony Roots.
We try our utmost to maintain reliable inventory of all products, and are very proud of our record in doing so. However, as we are a company engaged in what Mother Nature provides, we do sometimes experience shortages and crop failures beyond our control. If, for any reason, we are required to backorder any portion of your order, rest assured we will keep you apprised of updated shipping information and/or any other options that may satisfy your needs and wishes.
Grow Heirloom Rutabagas - Plant American Purple Top Rutabaga Seeds
A classic "keeper" vegetable for colder climates. The American Purple Top Rutabaga produces very large yellow roots with brilliant purple globes. The succulent flesh turns an orange/yellow color when cooked.
American Purple Top Rutabaga Botanical Name: Brassica napus "American Purple Top" Type: Heirloom Size at Maturity: 4" - 6" Diameter Days to Maturity: 90 Days Light Requirement: Full Sun Planting Time: Cool Season Sowing Method: Direct Sow Planting Depth: 1/2" Plant Spacing: 4" - 6" Seeds per Pound: NA Hardiness Zones: All Ships: Year-round Average Seeds Per Packet: ~1/2 tsp
When to plant:
- If you are in a colder area, sow your rutabaga seeds after the danger of the last frost has passed.
- If you are in a warmer zone, plant your seeds in the fall and harvest in the winter.
How to plant:
- Sow your seeds ½ inch deep and about 2-3 inches apart.
- Thin the rutabagas out when they are around 4 inches tall so there is between 4-6 inches of space between each plant.
When to harvest:
- Rutabagas are best harvested before they get to be as large as the ones you see in the grocery stores.
- Both the greens and bulbs can be harvested to eat - you can cut the greens off (without disturbing the root) when they are over 4 inches tall and the greens will regrow.
- Harvest the bulbs when they are at least 3 inches in diameter, depending on the variety of rutabaga.
You May Also Like
Rhubarb Seeds - Victoria HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATED
HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATEDAs low as $3.50 per package
- Red/Green; 24-36 Inch Stems
- 365+ Days to Harvest
- Prefers full sun exposure
Salsify Seeds - Mammoth Sandwich Island HEIRLOOM
HEIRLOOMAs low as $3.50 per package
- Tragopogon porrifolius
- Produces 8-10 Inches Roots, Approx 1 Inches Diameter
- Also Known as Oyster Plant
Heirloom Vegetable Seed Vault Collection 30 Best Selling Heirloom Vegetable Seeds!sold out
30 Best Selling Heirloom Vegetable Seeds!As low as $67.95 per package
- 30 Individual packets of our most popular Heirloom Vegetable Seeds
- Easy to grow, fun and delicious!
- Prefers full sun exposure
Turnip Seeds - Purple Top White Globe HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATED
HEIRLOOM - OPEN POLLINATEDAs low as $2.95 per package
- White/Purple; 3-2 Inches Diameter
- 45-65 Days to Harvest
- Tolerant of partial shade, but perfers full sun exposure